VW Type 34 Razoredge Sunroof cables

This weekend I’ve finally I’ve gotten round to looking at the sunroof on my razor, I have dismantled the gearbox and sorted the clutch adjustment, dismantled the motor and serviced it now its time for the cables…

Whilst attempting to operate the sunroof manually I noticed that something was wrong with the orientation of the cable ends and that it was impossible for them to operate the roof correctly as they were backwards and on further inspection it turns out they are from a beetle and not a type 34, the T34 is much deeper and handed differently but with a little modification the beetle ones can be made to work fairly easily!

The First thing to do is to remove the ferrule from the end of the cable, To do this I clamped it in a vice and used a hacksaw to put a cut down each side of ferrule before using a pair of side cutters to clip it off, the cable should now just pull out (Try not to damage the little spacer piece as this makes the next step easier!).image


After this you need to turn the cable end round 180 degrees and re-ferrule it on, for this I used the little spacer and used a pair of mole grips to crimp on a 3mm steel wire rope end stop ferrule. You will also find the beetle cables are too long so I cut the cables down to 100cm and popped a ferrule on the end to stop it fraying.


Finally put the cables back in the runners and you are done! the beetle cable end it a little shallower than the T34 and therefore doesn’t quite meet the sunroof itself but I have drawn up a longer sunroof pin and will have a pair made next week which will do the job nicely but for now I’m using an M5 Bolt  which works fine! image


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.